The Kirk Douglas Theatre
is located in Culver City
and in 2004, was acquired by the famed Center Theatre Group
. The theatre is the most intimate of the group's three stages and seats 317 patrons at max occupancy.
Built in 1947, as a Streamline Moderne
movie palace with a seating capacity of 1,160 (on a stadium plan with no overhanging balcony), the Culver Theatre (as it was previously named) was located near the Columbia Pictures
studio lot (then the lot for MGM
Originally, much like surrounding downtown Culver City, the Culver was a key part of classic Hollywood
's thriving entertainment community. But, eventually, much of the entertainment industry moved to points north and the theater grew tired and worn over the years.
Today, the Culver, now renamed the Kirk Douglas Theatre, operates as a performing arts center and playhouse. An $8 million restoration project, with a $1.25 million grant from the City of Culver, included the addition of two new stages, one with 100 seats and another with over 300 seats. Most of the exterior has been preserved, including the box office and the signature mezzanine