Kirkley & Pakefield F.C.
is an English football
club based in the Lowestoft
suburb of Kirkley
. The club are currently members of the Eastern Counties League
Premier Division and play at Walmer Road.
The club is affiliated to the Suffolk County FA
The original Kirkley F.C. was established in 1886, and the first recorded game was a match against East Suffolk on 4 December at Crown Meadow. The club played several more matches before merging with East Suffolk to form Lowestoft Town
the following year.
Following a trial for players in late 1889, a second club then went on to be formed just over a year later in 1890, playing their first match on 15 November against Clifford House School. They originally played on a pitch at St Aubin's College, forming strong links with the college, whose headmaster employed several former Cambridge Blues
as teachers. With several teachers playing for the club, they won the Suffolk Junior Cup in 1894. For a brief time the club became the dominant side in Lowestoft, reaching the semi-finals of the FA Amateur Cup
in 1896-97. During that season several local businessmen had bought the Kirkley Recreation Ground for the club for £746 17s 6d, with it opening on 5 September 1896. The club reached the final of the Suffolk Senior Cup
five times in six seasons between 1897 and 1902, with the reserve team winning the Junior Cup in 1898.
At the time, the club played in the North... Read More