The Manor of Knypersley was held by the de Knypersley family from ancient times, until Katherine de Knypersley , heiress to the estates married Thomas Bowyer late in the 14th century. Several branches of the Bowyer family became Bowyer Baronets.
In the 18th century the old manor house was replaced by the Bowyers. The substantial three storey, seven bay mansion then erected was remodelled about 1847 when the top storey was removed.
The Bowyer Baronetcy became extinct with the death of the 4th Baronet in 1702. His daughter and heiress Dorothy married Sir Thomas Gresley Bt in 1719. See Gresley Baronets.The Gresleys sold the estate in about 1809 to the noted horticulturist John Bateman, who developed the gardens but who in about 1840 moved to begin a larger project with his son James Bateman at Biddulph Grange.
The Grade II listed stable block has also been converted into dwellings.