The Kolling Institute of Medical Research
is located on the grounds of the Royal North Shore Hospital
in St Leonards
, Sydney Australia
. The institute, founded in 1920, is the oldest medical research institute in New South Wales
The Kolling Institute is located on the grounds of the Royal North Shore Hospital
and is a part of the Northern Clinical School
, University of Sydney
The Institute of Pathological Research was established in a cottage within the grounds of the Royal North Shore Hospital in 1920 with the appointment of a biochemist. Doctor W. Wilson Ingram
was the first director, appointed in 1928. He remained director for almost 50 years. During his tenure he added significantly to knowledge of diabetes
,opening the first clinic for its treatment in Australia. He also accompanied Sir Douglas Mawson
on two Antarctic
expeditions as Medical Officer and research scientist between 1929 and 1931.
A new two storey building was officially opened in 1931 and named the Kolling Institute.
In the last few years, the Kolling Institute has expanded to include other research groups from the Royal North Shore campus. The Kolling Institute was thus rebranded upon relocation to the new Kolling Building in late 2008.
Dr Max Lemberg
held an appointment within the institute from 1935 to 1972, establishing a major research focus on porphyrins
, structures within molecules which give the red colour to blood
and the yellow colour to bile
. Rudi Lemberg became a Fellow... Read More