(九龍車站), located in Tsim Sha Tsui
on the present site of the Hong Kong Cultural Centre
, was the former southern terminus of the Kowloon-Canton Railway
The first Kowloon station was a temporary structure built near the Post Office on Salisbury Road
in 1909 and served until the permanent station was completed in 1910. Regular service began at the second station on 1 October 1910. The building consisted of a two storey L shaped terminal building with a clock tower. On the north end of the station was a covered walkway which lead to a two covered elevated platforms. A mile north of the station is a freight station.
After its relocation to Hung Hom
(also replacing the old Hung Hum station) in 1974, and until the late 1990s, "Kowloon" had been the name of present-day Hung Hom Station
, the new southern terminus of the KCR, the railway which was renamed East Rail Line
in the late 1990s.
Owing to lacking of space for expansion, the southern terminus of the railway was moved from Tsim Sha Tsui
to a new station of the same name on the new reclaimed land
from Hung Hom Bay
in 1974. The Hong Kong Cultural Centre
was constructed on the site.Richard Frost, (1 May 1998) , The Standard
The new Kowloon Station was renamed to its present name, Hung Hom
, in late 1990s.
A campaign was mounted to preserve the 60-year old red brick terminus. The Kowloon Residents' Association... Read More