was a town
, currently part of Nagasaki City
. Situated approximately 13 km south of the centre of Nagasaki City
, the town is notable for the Mistubishi shipyard which occupies 60% of urban areas.
As of 2003, the town had an estimated population
of 4,261 and a density
of 944.79 persons per km². The total area was 4.51 km².
The main centre of population is located in the north western side from the Eri area to the Nagahama (shipyard) area. The centre of this is the Sato and Fukaura area where the elementary and junior high schools are located. Other buildings in these areas includes a small hospital, a kindergarten, the town hall and a library. A park and viewpoint is located in the centre of Koyagi from which fine views of Nagasaki city and the peninsular can be seen. Two small beaches are located in the Onoue and Tatsunokuchi areas. The southern Tatsunokuchi beach is famous locally for its scuba diving
A strong tradition of Peron dragon boat racing
exists in Kōyagi and in recent years the town team has won the Nagasaki Peron Festival several times.
In 1936 Kawanami Toyosaku bought the Matsuo Shipyard in Kōyagi and transformed it into the one of the largest in the Far East. During World War II
, a P.O.W. camp
, Fukuoka #2 was located in Kōyagi and the prisoners were forced to work in brutal conditions in the factories. However, soon after the war was over Kawanami was forced to close the factories due to a shortage of money.