The Borovitskiy Hill derives its name from the Russian word "бор" (bor) - "pinery". The hill was named so because in ancient times the left bank of the Moscow River was covered with pine forest. Archeologists date the first data on stay of a human being on the Borovitsky hill by the end of the 2nd millennium BC<sup></sup>. The following archeologically investigated stage is dated by the 8th-3rd centuries BC. A settlement established here in 11th century became the core of Moscow. In 1156 the first kremlin was built on the hill and it became known as Kremlin Hill. Several gardens have been laid out, some of which belonged to Metropolitan Alexius and Ivan the Terrible.