(House of the condor
) is the name given to ruins of a religious center with complex architecture and stone sculptures, located in the Andean highlands
. It is believed the inhabitants had a link with Chavín
Kuntur Wasi is located in the Northern Mountain Range of Peru, specifically at the headwaters of the Jequetepeque River, in the region of the city of Cajamarca
near the small town of San Pablo. The Jequetepeque valley provided a transportation corridor between the coastal region and the highlands. Kuntur Wasi was a center where people congregated.
Kuntur Wasi is thought to have been constructed around 1000-700 BCE, during the Initial Period. The architecture consists of a hill-top temple, quadrangular platforms, a sunken courtyard, and series of rooms. In the floor of one room there is an anthropomorphic figure made of clay, about 30 inches (75 cm) in height. It is painted with cinnabar red, malachite green, and black, yellow, and pink. Its face has big square eyes and a wide mouth with prominent canine teeth. There are also stepped platforms and funeral structures. Lithosculptures have been found, similar to the Chavín style. Kuntur Wasi was occupied between the years 1200-50 BC.
Kuntur Wasi was first discovered in 1945 by Julio C. Tello
. In 1989, scientists from the University of Tokyo
excavated four tombs at Kutur Wasi. Valuable items, such as pectoral necklaces (decorative breastplates), gold crowns, ornamental... Read More