300px|thumb|left|The wall paintings in the reformed churchOn the basis of the historical researches the village was existed when the Magyars in Hungary in the 10th century was settled. First time the name of "Luna" had been mentioned in a noble benefaction letter in 1270.In the 13th century the village had been possessed by Bánk Peer. After he had assassinated Queen Gertud, his tenure had been seized by King Endre II. The King endowed the village to the Berenczeis in 1285. The descendants of the Berenczei had used the family name ”Lónyay” after this donation. In this time the village divided into two part: Kislónya (Small-Lónya) and Nagylónya (Great-Lonya). The Romanesque church was built in the 13th century. In the year of 1567 the Mongolians had been burglarized the village. The Lónyays confess to the Reformed Church (Calvinist) in the early time, in the middle of the 16th. Kis and Nagylónya were united as Lónya in 1934. The village used to lie closer to the river, but the inhabitants had to move further up, to the current position, because of frequent floods. Although the village was rebuilt, there are still a few special barns left. Today, most of the 900 inhabitants live by the main street and produce mainly wheat, corn, sunflower seeds, apples and plums.