La Martiniere Calcutta' comprises two separate private (independent from the government) schools (one for boys and one for girls) in Kolkata, India. The schools were established in accordance with the will of Major General Claude Martin in 1836. They are day schools although they both have a small number of boarders.
The schools offers an English-medium, all-round education from Nursery up to the Higher Secondary level. They are affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examination, New Delhi, which conducts the ICSE and ISC Examinations at the close of Classes X and XII.
The school motto is Labore et Constantia
, "By Labour and Constancy".
Claude Martin was born on 4 January 1735 in Lyon, France. He came to India when he was seventeen. After the French influence declined in India, he served in the British East India Company
and rose to the rank of Major-General. After taking up residence in Lucknow
, he occupied an important position in the court of Nawab Shuja-ud-Daulah
and later his son, Asaf-ud-Daula
During this period he accumulated a fortune of about Rupees 40 lakhs (40,00,000). He built the palace of 'Constantia' and his house of Farhat Baksh, both of which he equipped with luxuries that included a library of some 4,000 volumes written in many languages and a picture gallery..
He breathed his last as Major-General Claude Martin in Lucknow on September 13, 1800. According to his will
, he was buried in the vault prepared for his... Read More