La Salle School, Kota Kinabalu
(Malay: Sekolah Menengah La Salle Kota Kinabalu
) is a co-educational secondary school
for boys and girls (mostly boys) and one of the oldest schools in Kota Kinabalu
It was established in 1953 by Father Bernard Davies a Mill Hill Missionary. Despite being a mission school, the students consist of all races regardless of religion.
La Salle Secondary School, Kota Kinabalu is divided into two pieces of land. The Senior Block (form 4 to Form 6), remains at its current location. The Junior Block (Form 1 to Form 3) has been relocated to the new ground to accommodate the increase in student enrollment.
The single-session secondary school is located in Tanjung Aru
. It is a few minutes walk from Pekan Tanjung Aru. Next to the Senior Block is SM Stella Maris.
The La Salle secondary school can trace its beginnings to the Sacred Heart primary school set up by Father Van Der Heyden in July 1903. From just a handful of students, the school's enrolment went up to 50 by June 1913 and 10 years later increased to 213.
Between 1941 and 1945, a wooden school building with eight classes was built on the site where the current site of the Sacred Heart primary school stands just adjacent to the Sacred Heart cathedral in Karamunsing
Before the establishment of the secondary school in 1951, Father Bernard Davies, a Mill Hill Missionary started secondary classes at Karamunsing to prepare students for Senior Cambridge Examinations. In 1953, when the Catholic... Read More