The 1953 Lagonda 3-litre
was the second Lagonda
of the David Brown
era. It used a higher displacement 2.9 L 140 bhp version of the twin overhead camshaft Lagonda Straight-6 engine
which was designed by Walter Owen Bentley
Like its predecessor, the 3-Litre was a 4-seat car, but only a 2-door closed coupé, built by David Brown
subsidiary engineering company Tickford
were offered initially. A 4-door saloon, appeared in 1954 and the 2-door closed car was dropped soon after. That same year, a Mark II version introduced a floor-mounted shift lever.
The car had a separate cruciform braced chassis and the suspension was independent all round, unusual for a car of its time. At the front there were coil springs and at the rear torsion bars and a swing axle. The Lockheed drum brakes, at the front and at the rear were servo assisted and steering was by a rack and pinion system with fore and aft adjustment on the steering column.
The interior was luxurious with polished walnut for the dashboard and door trims and leather seats, individual in front and a bench at the rear with fold down arm rest. There were also adjustable arm rests on the front doors. A heater, radio and built in hydraulic jacks were standard equipment. Single or two tome paint schemes were... Read More