was an administrative division of the Punjab Province
, until the reforms of 2000 abolished the third tier of government.
Lahore Division was originally an administrative division of the Punjab Province
of British India
. It extended along the right bank of the Sutlej River
from the Himalaya
, and comprised the six districts of Sialkot
, and Gurdaspur
. The total area of the division was and the population according to the 1901 census of India was 5,598,463. The commissioner for the division also exercised political control over the hill state of Chamba
The Commissioner's headquarters were at Lahore
. The total population of the Division increased from 4,696,636 in 1881 to 5,321,535 in 1891, and5,598,463 in 1901. The total area was , and the density of population was 326 persons per square mile, compared with 208 for British territory in the Province as a whole. In 1901 Muslims numbered 3,332,175, or 60 percent of the total; while other religions included Hindus, 1,567,402; Sikhs, 661,320; Jains, 5,5,07; Buddhists, 6; Parsis, 228; and Christians, 31,815, of whom 25,248 were natives.
The division contained six districts:
Gurdaspur included a few square miles of mountainous country, enclosing the hill station of Dalhousie (highest, point, 7,687 feet) ; but otherwise the... Read More