Lalmonirhat is a district, situated at the north side boarder of Bangladesh.. It is a part of the Rangpur Division.There are five Thana/Upazila-Lalmanirhat Sadar, Aditmari, Kaliganj, Hatibandha and Patgram.
At the end of 19th century the workers of the Bengal Duras Railway (BDR) while digging the mud for the installation of rail line, found a red color stone and since then, the place was recognized as Lalmoni. Whereas some legendary opinions that the railway which acquire the land owned by an lady named Lalmoni for which people kept the place after her name as the recognition of her contribution of land for the rail line. Others are of the opinion that in 1783 a woman named Lalmoni along with peasant leader, Nuruldin fought against the English soldiers and land lords for the cause to establish the interest of general peasants and laid down her life against the atrocity of the rulers. The place was named as the Lalmoni as the sign of respect. The word “hat” became adhered to her name in the course of time.