is a hilly ancient parish and former landed estate
, its eastern boundary being the North Sea
. It is four miles north of Berwick-upon-Tweed
, and is the first Scottish parish reached after crossing the border from England
on the Great North Road (today the A1).
Adam de Lamberton gave a charter of a third part of his land of Lamberton to his grandson, Galfrido de Hasswell between 1190 and 1200.Historic Manuscripts Commission, Manuscripts of Colonel David Milne Home of Wedderburn Castle, N.B.
, London, 1902: 223
In the National Archives of Scotland
(RH1/2/59) there is a charter of Sir Peter de Mordington, knt., son of the deceased Sir William de Mordington, as superior, in favour of Simon de Baddeby of certain lands in Lamberton, dated 1270. A William de Lamberton was superior c1318.Historic Manuscripts Commission, Manuscripts of Colonel David Milne Home of Wedderburn Castle, N.B.
, London, 1902: 226
Some records give Lamberton as a feudal barony; others that it became part of the vast barony assigned to Coldingham Priory
. (It may be partly both).
A charter (RH1/2/98) dated November 21, 1325 of Agnes de Mordington, in favour of John de Raynton, thereafter designated as "of Lamberton", appears to herald the long possession of Lamberton by this family, descendants of the ancient foresters of Coldingham Priory
. "Robert de Renton, Lord of... Read More