The road was constructed in the 1860s at the same time as the Albert Embankment as part of the land reclamation that allowed the construction of St Thomas' Hospital. The road originally ran in a straight line parallel to the river, with views between the pavilion blocks of the hospital to the Thames.
Since the redevelopment of the hospital in the 1960s, the road now follows a route further inland, although its original alignment through the hospital as a continuation of Belvedere Road can still be seen between later buildings. Because the expansion of the hospital and the new road layout eliminated Stangate Triangle, a protected London Square, an area of land on the east of the road was provided as an extension to Archbishop's Park in compensation.
Dr Thomas Neill Cream, serial killer, lodged at number 103, near St Thomas's Hospital, from 1891-2.Shore, W. Teignmouth: "Thomas Neill Cream", in "Famous Trials 5", Hodge, James H. (ed), Penguin: 1955, p.18