The Lancaster Canal Tramroad
, also known as the Walton Summit Tramway
or the Old Tram Road
, was completed in 1803 to link the north and south ends of the Lancaster Canal
across the Ribble
valley (Barritt, 2000), pending completion of the canal
. The canal link was never constructed.
The Lancaster Canal
Company obtained an Act of Parliament
(32 Geo. III c. 101
) in 1792 to construct a canal linking the towns of Kendal
to the coalfields around Wigan
was to be the chief traffic northwards and limestone
southwards.In the original Canal documentation (see Barritt; 2000), the southbound and northbound tracks were referred to as the Limestone
and Coal Roads
respectively – reflecting their primary traffic and its direction Most of the canal was completed quickly, including the impressive aqueduct
across the River Lune
near Lancaster, but the part across the wide valley of the River Ribble remained to be built when the construction capital
The original plan foresaw an impressive stone aqueduct across the river and up to 32 locks
to complete the route. As a temporary measure, the canal company constructed a tramroad
to link the two halves and allow revenue traffic to start flowing. Construction took three years.
In 1794, the canal company engaged the services of William Cartwright
, first to supervise the construction of the foundations for the Lune Aqueduct and later as Resident......