is a penal facility located in the town of Landsberg am Lech
in the southwest of the German
state of Bavaria
, about west of Munich
and south of Augsburg
The prison was used by Allied
power during the Occupation of Germany
for holding Nazi War Criminals
. In 1946 General Joseph T. McNarney
, commander in chief, U.S. Forces of Occupation in Germany renamed Landsberg: War Criminal Prison Nr. 1
. The Americans closed the war crimes facility in 1958. Control of the prison was then handed over to the Federal Republic of Germany
Landsberg is now maintained by the Prison Service of the Bavarian Ministry of Justice.
Landsberg prison, which is in the town's western outskirts, was completed in 1910. The facility was designed with an Art Nouveau
frontage by Hugo Höfl. Its four brick-built cell blocks are orientated in a cross-shape which allows guards to watch all wings from a central location.
Landsberg, which was used for holding convicted criminals and those awaiting sentencing, was also designated a Festungshaft
(meaning fortress confinement) prison. Festungshaft facilities were similar to a modern protective custody unit. Prisoners were excluded from forced labor
and had reasonably comfortable cells. They were also allowed to receive visitors. Anton Graf von Arco-Valley
who shot Bavarian prime minister Kurt Eisner
was given a Festungshaft sentence in February 1919.
In 1924 Adolf Hitler
spent 264 days incarcerated in Landsberg after being convicted of......