(also El Araich
; العرائش in Arabic
) is an important harbour town in the region Tanger-Tétouan
in northern Morocco
. It was founded in the 7th century when a group of Muslim
soldiers from Arabia
extended their camp at Lixus
onto the south bank of the Loukkos River
In 1471, the Portuguese
settlers from Asilah
drove the inhabitants out of Larache, and again it remained uninhabited until the Saadi Sultan Mohammed ash-Sheikh
decided to repopulate it and build a stronghold on the plateau above river Loukos. He constructed a fortress at the entrance to the port as a means of controlling access to the river.
In the 15th century superpower due to their marine expenditures Portugal spoke of Larache as the largest Moroccan Port.
For a long time, attempts by the Portuguese, Spanish and French to take it met with no success. The Portuguese established the nearby Graciosa fortress
in 1489. The Kasbah, which was built in 1491 by Moulay en Nasser
, later became a pirate stronghold. In 1610, the town passed to the Spanish, who stayed there until 1689, but who mainly used the ports as trading stops and never really administered the town. Moulay Ismail
finally retook it in 1689.
Attacks on Larache continued, but it still remained in Muslim hands. In 1765, a French fleet failed in the Larache expedition
. But due to the colonisation era
Spain took Larache in 1911 and held it for 45 years until 1956.
Today Larache has a population of approximately 117,000. Periods... Read More