Largs railway station
is a railway station
in the town of Largs
, North Ayrshire
. The station is managed by First ScotRail
and is on the Ayrshire Coast Line
, south west of .
The station was originally opened on 1 June 1885 by the Glasgow and South Western Railway
, as the terminus of the extension of the former Ardrossan Railway
The station originally had four platforms with additional stabling lines, a glazed canopy and a footbridge spanning the platforms.
By the time the electrification project commenced only three platforms and the centre stabling line were in operation. Following completion of electrification only two platforms remained.
The frontage of the station was severely damaged on 11 July 1995 when an early morning Class 318 train
from crashed through the buffers and demolished both parts of the station building and various shops on the main street of Largs. The driver was able to leave his cab to warn the passengers to brace themselves shortly before the collision and there were no serious injuries on the train or elsewhere.
The station operated with temporary structures for many years, and a £200,000 makeover (including a new station building) was completed in 2005, albeit much simpler than the original.
There is a basic hourly service to and Glasgow Central (including Sundays), with additional services during weekday peak periods. At the time of initial electric... Read More