: , 1901) is the fourth largest city in the north-western part of Sindh
, and is located within Larkana District
. In August 2000 Larkana celebrated its hundred years of existence. It is located on the south bank of the Ghar canal, 40 miles south of Shikarpur town, and 36 miles north-east of Mehar.
During British rule
Larkana became the headquarters of Larkana District
and Larkana Taluka
, and for a time was part of the Bombay Presidency
of British India. The city lay on the route of the North-Western Railway
, and the population according to the 1901 census of India was 14,543. The name was taken from the Larik (caste) as Larkana, at that time the chief of the caste was Sardar Saeed Nawaz Larik.
The Imperial Gazetteer of India
describes the town as follows:
Famous Schools in Larkana
Larkana is surrounded by fertile land in which all kind of fruits and vegetables are cultivated, including potatoes, melons, olives, oranges, peas, carrots, cucumber, mangoes and guava. Some 10 km from the city, sugarcane
is... Read More