Lavells Newsagents Ltd
was founded in 1924 as 'Lavells Chocolatiers', a private company operating a small group of High Street outlets in central London specialising in confectionery.
History and Origins
The origin of the name 'Lavells' is unknown.
The company was acquired by Herbert Mansfield in 1933 and steered through the difficult 1930s as a high class confectioners.
Lavells successfully survived the war years in spite of the difficulty of rationing. In 1948 it became a publicly quoted company and was subsequently acquired by Callard & Bowser, who in turn were acquired by Arthur Guinness & Company Limited in 1951.
Guinness & Expansion
The company then entered an era of rapid expansion and acquired many more shops including newsagents. These acquisitions were chains of shops and warehouses operated by Hancock & Co. in Manchester
and Gordon's Limited in Leeds
This expansion firmly established Lavells in the news agency field and also involved them in the operation of sub-post offices.
Morison Son & Jones
It was at this time, that the company was opening prime High Street units and responsibility for the chain passed to the Guinness subsidiary Morison Son & Jones.
The management were keen to set up a chain of departmental stores to complement their newsagents. As a result a new fascia was developed under the name 'Morison's Department Stores'. Morison's opened branches in the North, Midlands and Dover, Kent. The Dover branch was opened on... Read More