The Lawrence School
, is situated in Sanawar, adjacent to Kasauli
in Himachal Pradesh
. It was founded by Sir Henry Montgomery Lawrence
of the Army of colonial India
’s British Raj
and was established on 15 April 1847.
The school has produced many prominent personalities and is a reputed co-educational, residential public school. Sanawar is affiliated to India's Central Board of Secondary Education
In appreciation of the school's contribution to the country, the government of India issued a commemorative stamp and first-day cover on October 3, 1997, marking the school's sesquicentennial year.
Henry Lawrence wanted to establish a chain of schools educate the children of soldiers serving the British army
in India. Lawrence was himself killed in the Indian rebellion of 1857
, also called India’s First War of Independence. His dream took shape and four such schools, initially known as Lawrence Military Asylum, were established in India: the first two during his lifetime in 1847 at Sanawar
and the second at Mount Abu
in 1856; the third at Lovedale, near Ootacamund on 6 September 1858, and the fourth in Ghora Gali
, now in Pakistan
) in 1860.
Founded by Sir Henry Montgomery Lawrence
and Lady Honoria Lawrence
, Sanawar is believed to be the first co-educational boarding school in the world. On 15 April 1847, a group of 14 boys and girls camped at the top of the foothills of the Himalayas
. They lived under canvas for some weeks anxiously waiting for the... Read More