Le Petit Theatre Du Vieux Carre
is a community theater
in the French Quarter
of New Orleans, Louisiana
Le Petit was founded in 1916, when a group of amateur theatre
-lovers began putting on plays in the drawing room of one of the members.
The audiences of the Drawing Room Players grew, and the founders rented space on the second floor of 503 St. Ann in the lower Pontalba Buildings
, for $17.50 per month. Irish playwright Lord Dunsany
, visiting the city, formally launched the new playhouse. In 1922, the theatre bought the property for its present location at the corner of St. Peter and Chartres Streets. Three small shed-like buildings facing St. Peter Street were removed and the present theatre building was constructed in 1922. The structure incorporates a 1790s colonial building on the corner, which was renovated and helped inspire the style of the rest of the structure. Architect Richard Koch designed the theatre in authentic Spanish Colonial style.
The building complex holds a professionally equipped theatre. The corner building, reconstructed in 1963, holds reception rooms, offices, dressing rooms, and a smaller theatre.
Le Petit is run by a Board of Governors, with productions staged by professional staff. Most of the performers are volunteers, in accordance with the charter designating it a community theatre, though many are professionals in music, dance, TV or other performing arts. Auditions are open.
During its 95 years of operation, Le Petit has been recognized as one... Read More