The Legislative Assembly of the Cayman Islands
has 18 members, 15 elected members for a four year term in two-seat constituencies
and 3 members ex-officio.
As a British Overseas Territory
, it operates at the sufferance of the British Parliament
. In the elections of 8 November 2000, with a turnout of 80% only non-partisans were elected. After the election, conservative
members of parliament formed the United Democratic Party
The social democratic People's Progressive Movement
formed in response and won the subsequent subsequent election
on 11 May 2005 and resumed office until May 2009.
Following the Cayman Islands general election 2009
the United Democratic Party
took back office and the People's Progressive Movement
returned to the opposition.
The first-ever meeting of like-minded individuals coming together to discuss the possible legislative future of the Cayman Islands took place on 5 December 1831 at the now beautifully restored great house, Pedro St. James, in the fertile area of Savannah on Grand Cayman. This building is now revered as the seat of parliamentary beginnings in the Cayman Islands.
By 1909 what got established as the Legislative Assembly of Justices and Vestry was meeting in the Court House on the waterfront in what is at present the headquarters of the Cayman Islands National Museum, right in front of Hog Sty Bay and the cruise passenger arrival terminal. The building served as the seat of government, the court house and the legislature... Read More