is a commune
in the Somme department
in northern France
Lesbœufs is situated on the D74 road, about half a mile from the A1 autoroute
, some northeast of Amiens
The village was named from a legend about the Scottish monk, Saint Furcy
who came as an evangelist to Picardy. He died during a journey to Péronne
, where he had wanted to visit a church that he’d ordered to be built. Several communes claimed his body for burial. After negotiations, it was decided that he would be buried at the place where the oxen (the beef), pulling his funeral cart, decided to stop. They pulled up at Péronne, where St.Furcy became patron Saint.The village where these negotiations took place? First called "Les Boeufs" then "Lesboeufs".
The little village has one feature of interest to outsiders, the Guards
cemetery. Some north east of Albert
. Occupied by the Germans, it was attacked by 'The Guards' on the 15 September 1916 and captured eight days later. The cemetery, designed by Sir Herbert Baker, holds more than three thousand Allied soldiers from a number of regiments. Wheelchair access is not possible.
Places of interest
- The church
- The Military cemetery - the "Guards' cemetery"
- Saint Furcy - Patron saint of the neighbouring town of Péronne
LesbœufsLesbœufs Read More