was a large department store
city centre. It was formerly the flagship of a group of department stores under the Lewis's name, that operated from 1856 to 1991. After the closure of the Manchester store, only the original Liverpool store continued to trade under the Lewis's name. After being owned by the store group Owen Owen
(1991–2007) it was bought by Vergo Retail Ltd
. It was closed in 2010. The store should not be confused with the rival stores operated by the John Lewis Partnership
. For Christmas 2010 and beyond, the Lewis's grotto manager, Display Team and staff have moved the Famous Lewis's Christmas Grotto to the 4th Floor of Rapid Hardware
(also in Liverpool).
The first Lewis's was opened in 1856 in Liverpool by entrepreneur David Lewis
, as a men's and boys' clothing store, mostly manufacturing his own stock. In 1864 Lewis's branched out into women's clothing. In the 1870s the store expanded and added departments, including shoes in 1874 and tobacco in 1879. Also in 1879, Lewis's opened one of the world's first "Christmas grottos" in Lewis's Bon Marche, Church Street, Liverpool. It was named "Christmas Fairyland".
The first Lewis's outside Liverpool opened in nearby Manchester
in 1877, and another, by personal suggestion from Joseph Chamberlain
on his new Corporation Street
in 1885. The Manchester store included a full scale ballroom on the fifth floor, which was also used for exhibitions. Buying... Read More