Lewisville High School
, the oldest of five high schools in the Lewisville Independent School District
, is located in Lewisville, Texas
. It was opened in 1897
, making it the only school in the district to have celebrated its 100th anniversary.
The school's colors are maroon and white and the its mascot is "Big John", the Fighting Farmer (a reference to Lewisville's early days as a rural community).
In 1963, Lewisville was one of the first school districts in Texas
to integrate. However, African-American high school students were bused to another school until 1969.
Lewisville High School was originally located on Purnell Street in downtown Lewisville. LHS moved to its current location at Main Street and Valley Parkway in 1968. At that time, the school was located in farmland at the edge of Lewisville. LHS has had several additions since then due to the city of Lewisville's large growth. Future additions and renovation are scheduled for the next few years, adding a new band hall and renovating the current science labs.
Lewisville High School consists of two different campuses, Killough Lewisville High School North
, "North Campus", which serves only ninth graders, and LHS "Main Campus," which serves tenth through twelfth graders. Together, their 2005-2006 enrollment was more than 3,300 students, making it the largest high school in... Read More