The 7th Brigade was founded on 1 December 1948 as the 7th Infantry Brigade and took over the traditions of the 7th Mixed Brigade, which was established on 31 July 1914 and disbanded on 1 February 1918. Throughout its history, the 7th Brigade has had many different names. From 1957 to 1961 it was known as the 7th Infantry Group, from 1961 to 1969 as the 7th Infantry Brigade again, from 1969 to 1994 as the 7th Armoured Infantry Brigade and from 1994 to 2004 as the 7th Mechanised Brigade. In 2004 it was formally renamed the 7th Brigade. In 2010 it was merged with the Immediate Reaction Cell to form the Light Brigade.