was a federal electoral district
represented in the Canadian House of Commons
from 1867 to 1883 and from 1904 to 1997. It was on the Niagara Peninsula
in the Canadian
province of Ontario
. At various times, there was also an electoral district of the same name used in provincial elections
At various times, the riding included all or parts of the former Lincoln County
(including its successor, the Regional Municipality of Niagara
). After 1976, it also represented parts of the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth
, mainly Stoney Creek
. As a suburban riding of Hamilton
, it tended to vote Conservative much more often than the city proper.
By the 1997 election, the riding borders and name were changed to Stoney Creek
although it included many areas outside that city.
It initially consisted of the Townships of Clinton, Grantham, Grimsby, and Louth, and the Town of St. Catharines. It was abolished in 1882 when it was redistributed between Lincoln and Niagara
and Wentworth South ridings
It was recreated from those two ridings in 1903, and defined as consisting of the County of Lincoln.
In 1947, it was defined as consisting of the county of Lincoln, including the city of St. Catharines.
In 1966, it was defined as consisting of
(a) in the County of Lincoln, the southeast part of the City of St. Catharines, and the Townships of Caistor, Clinton, Gainsborough, Grimsby North, Grimsby South, Louth and Niagara;
(b) in the County of Welland, the Townships of Pelham and... Read More