This is a list of the 871 civil parish in Scotland
From 1845 to 1930, parishes formed part of the local government
system of Scotland:having parochial boards
from 1845 to 1894, and parish council
from 1894 until 1930.
The parishes, which had their origins in the ecclesiastical parishes
of the Church of Scotland
, often overlapped county
boundaries, largely because they reflected earlier territorial divisions.
In the early 1860s, many parishes which were physically detached from their county were re-allocated to the county by which they were surrounded; some border parishes were transferred to neighbouring counties. This affects the indexing of such things as birth, marriage, and death registrations and other records indexed by county.
In 1891, there were further substantial changes to the areas of many parishes, as the boundary commission appointedunder the Local Government Act 1889
eliminated many anomalies, and assigned divided parishes toa single county.
Parishes have had no direct administrative function since 1930. In that year, all parishes and parts of parishes outside burghs
, (technically known as landward
), were grouped into districts with elected district councils. These districts were abolished in 1975, and the new local authorities established in that year often cut across parish boundaries.
In 1996, there was a further reorganisation of Scottish local government, and a number of civil parishes lie in two or more council areas.
Civil parishes are still used for some... Read More