From 1888 to 1949, the head of the university was given the title Chancellor. In 1949, the office of President was created and George P. Gilmour was both President and Chancellor. In 1950 his title changed to President and Vice-Chancellor. From that time onward, the University had both a Chancellor as well as a President and Vice-Chancellor. The office of Vice-Chancellor has always been held by the incumbent president of the university.
McMaster University has had 16 Chancellors in office since its existence. In the two years between the retirement of Chancellor MacVicar and the appointment of Chancellor Rand (1890–1892), the Faculties of... Read More