Established as:: 44th Bomb Wing on 20 December 1959.
Activated on: 2 January 1951.
The 44th Bombardment Group flew B-24s in Europe during World War II. It was inactivated on July 12, 1946. Reactivated and assigned to SAC on July 1, 1947, but was not manned. Reactivated again on 6 September 1948 and established as the 44th Bomb Wing on December 20, 1950.
58th Bombardment Group
The Eighth Air Force of World War II fame in the European Theater of Operations was one of the original eleven units assigned to SAC relocated to Okinawa on July 16, 1945 to prepare for the final assault on Japan. The Japanese surrendered and the assault never took place. On June 7, 1946, Eight Air Force Headquarters was moved to MacDill Field, Florida in a paper move without the transfer of personnel and equipment. Eighth Air Force Headquarters was actually manned chiefly by personnel from the 58th Bombardment Group which was stationed at Fort Worth. Eighth Air Force was assigned to SAC on 30 November 1946.The 58th Bombardment Group was inactivated the next day.