officially known as Llama-Gabilondo y Cia SA
was a Spanish arms company founded in 1904 under the name Gabilondo and Urresti
. Its headquarters were in Eibar
in the Basque Country
, but they also had workshops during different times in Elgoibar
. Llama manufactured moderate-priced revolvers and self-loading pistols in a bewildering variety of models. These were popular mainly in the European and Latin American export market, as well as domestically in Spain.
Gabilondo and Urresti was founded in 1904, but did not appear in the industrial census of Eibar until 1907 where it is listed as having four gunsmiths at work. In the period from 1908 to 1914, this doubled to eight. In 1912, the company was not one of the Eibar manufacturers involved in legal action against Fabrique National
so it can be assumed that they had not yet begun to sell self-loading pistols based on the Browning
patents.Gabilondo and Urresti initially made copies of Nagant
revolvers in 7.62mm Nagant
and 8mm Lebel
(these lacked the "gas seal" feature
of the originals); as well as Colt New Service
, and Vélodog
-style revolvers under their own brand. The firm also produced parts for other companies.
revolvers were small pocket pistols intended for the protection of cyclists and hikers against savage dogs, typically firing five or six shots, and... Read More