The Llotja de la Seda
(, , English
"Silk Exchange") is a late Valencian Gothic style civil building in Valencia, Spain
, built between 1482 and 1548, and one of the principal tourist attractions in the city. The UNESCO
considered it as a World Heritage Site
in 1996 since "the site is of outstanding universal value as it is a wholly exceptional example of a secular building in late Gothic style, which dramatically illustrates the power and wealth of one of the great Mediterranean mercantile cities.".
Behind the current building, there was an earlier one from the 14th century, which was called the Oil Exchange
(Llotja de l’Oli
, in Valencian, or Lonja del Aceite
, in Spanish). It was used not only for trading with oil, but for all kind of business.
Valencia's commercial prosperity reached its peak during the 15th century, and led to the construction of a new building.
The design of the new Lonja of Valencia was derived from a similar structure in the Lonja of Palma de Majorca
, built by the architect Guillem Sagrera in 1448. The architect in charge of the new Lonja was Pere Compte (1447–1506), who built the main body of the building - the Trading Hall
or Sala de Contractació
(in Valencian) - in only fifteen years (1483–1498). So is written in a blue band that runs along all four walls of the Trading Hall, also called Hall of Columns
. It proclaims in golden letters the following inscription:
According to the local Valencian scholar... Read More