The London and North Western Railway
(LNWR) Webb Coal Tank
is a class of 0-6-2T
steam locomotive. They were called "Coal Tanks" because they were a side tank
version of Webb's standard 17 in Coal Engine
, an 0-6-0
tender engine for slow freight trains.
The design was introduced in 1881 by F.W. Webb
and had the same cheaply produced cast iron wheels and H-section spokes as the tender engines. A trailing radial truck supporting the bunker
was added also with two similarly cast iron wheels. Three hundred were built between 1881 and 1899.
Four (LNWR nos. 178, 484, 1257, 69) were withdrawn in January–February 1920 so at the 1923 grouping
, 292 passed to the London Midland and Scottish Railway
(LMS). They were renumbered from the LNWR's random allocation based on vacant numbers, to a solid block sequence 7550–7841
, and given the power classification
1F. Many locomotives still in service in 1934 were renumbered by the addition of 20,000 to their number.
Sixty-four locomotives passed into British Railways
ownership in 1948 and they were numbered 58880–58937
, but not all survived long enough to carry their BR numbers.
One BR 58926, ex-LMS 7799, neé LNWR 1054, has survived to preservation on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway
, carrying its LNWR livery and number.