The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1929 (19 & 20 Geo 5 c. 25) reorganised local government in Scotland from 1930, introducing joint county councils, large and small burghs and district councils. The Act also abolished the Scottish poor law system with institutions passing to the local authorities.
The parish councils that had been introduced by the Local Government Act 1894 were dissolved. Their responsibilities regarding poor law passed to the county council, other powers passing to the new district councils.
Abolition of Commissioners of Supply and Education Authorities
Commissioners of Supply had been established for each county in 1662, but had lost most of their powers to the county councils formed in 1890. Their remaining powers were to form part of a standing joint committee which acted as the police authority for the county. The 1929 Act dissolved the standing committees and the commissioners ceased to exist.
The county and city education authorities that had been formed in 1919 were also abolished, with their functions and powers passing to the counties and counties of cities.Local... Read More