The 1920 Tube Stock
consisted of forty cars built by Cammell Laird
. These cars were the first tube cars built new with air operated doors. There were no driving motor cars, only control trailers and trailers, of which there were twenty each.
They were used with twenty French-built "Gate Stock"
driving motor cars, which had been converted to air-operated doors for use with the 1920 stock. In 1930, the driving motor cars were replaced with twenty examples of "Standard Stock"
driving motor cars.
They were initially used on the Piccadilly tube
, but were transferred to the Bakerloo tube
for local workings in 1930, being unsuitable for operating in the open sections of the Piccadilly extensions.
As built the cars had longitudinal seating through the length of the car. Upon withdrawal of the converted French DMs, the interior was refurbished so that the centre section had bay seating.
The 1920 stock cars were retired from service in 1938.
The cars were scrapped between 1946 and 1948 with the exception of five cars that were rebuilt into an instruction train. These five cars remained in this use until 1969 when they were scrapped.