The R38, R47, R49, and R59 Stock cars were built for the District Line in 1938, 1949, 1952 and 1959. R Stock cars were driving motors (DM) and non-driving motors (NDM). There were no unpowered trailers.
The R Stock was delivered in three batches, and each batch contained DM cars rebuilt from existing Q38 stock trailers plus newly-built NDM cars; the second batch also included some new-build DM.
7 DM (R38/3) converted 1958-9 at Acton Works from Q38 trailers built
13 NDM (R59) built 1959 by Metro Cammell
The R38 cars were rebuilt from Q38 stock trailers which had been built by Gloucester RC&W in 1938-40, having been designed with such conversion in mind; the R47, R49, and R59 cars were built new. The R38 and R47 cars were built to a traditional steel bodied design, whilst the R49 and R59 cars were largely of aluminium alloy. The R49 cars were the first built for London Underground with what for many years became the traditional unpainted aluminium finish, with the first......