The T Stock
was originally built in various batches by Metropolitan-Vickers and Birmingham RC&W for the Metropolitan Railway
in 1927-31 for use on electric services from Baker Street
and the City to Watford
and Rickmansworth, though rarely some worked on the Uxbridge
The earlier batches were built from wood and sandwiched trailers of 1898-1923 vintage, however later batches were steel in construction and worked with new built trailers. As built the group has some variations in equipment, mostly to allow use with existing stock such as the Saloon and Ashbury trailers and leading to incompatibilities within the class, however upon transfer the London Transport this was rectified and the entire fleet largely standardized about 1938.
T stock never ran to Aylesbury, though latterly worked to Chesham and Amersham after electrification. Prior to this, trains destined to beyond Rickmansworth were hauled by the famous Metropolitan Vickers Bo-Bo electric locomotives
until Rickmansworth where a changeover to steam traction occurred.
These electric multiple unit
trains had slam doors with rounded tops, thought to be less prone to damage if accidentally opened in the tunnels north of Baker Street.
The stock was replaced from 1961 by the A60 and A62 Stock
with the final train running on 5 October 1962.
In 1961, two driving motor vehicles were converted into sleet locomotives
. These were numbered ESL118A and ESL118B, having previously been 2758 and 2749 respectively. After being... Read More