The Long Corridor
() is a covered walkway in the Summer Palace
. First erected in the middle of the 18th century, it is famous for its length (728 m) in conjunction with its rich painted decoration (more than 14,000 paintings).
The Long Corridor was first built in 1750, when the Qianlong Emperor
commissioned work to convert the area into an imperial garden. The corridor was constructed so that the emperor's mother could enjoy a walk through the gardens protected from the elements. Like most of the Summer Palace, the Long Corridor wasseverely damaged by fire which Anglo-French allied forces laid in 1860 during the Second Opium War
. It was rebuilt in 1886. As a part of the Summer Palace, the Long Corridor was included on the UNESCO World Heritage List
in December, 1998.
The Long Corridor leads from the Gate for Greeting the Moon
(Yao Yue Men) in the east westwards along the northern shore of Kunming Lake
. Along its entire length, it keeps to the transitional zone between the lake shore and the foot of the Longevity Hill, which is on the opposite side of the corridor. The Marble Boat
, a landmark lakeside pavilion, is located near the western end of the corridor. The middle section of the Long Corridor passes in a southward bend around the central building complex on the lake side of Longevity Hill, The main hall in this complex is the Cloud-Dispelling Hall
(Pai Yun Dian), where the Empress Dowager Cixi
used to celebrate her birthday. The Long... Read More