is a southern district of Stoke-on-Trent
, and is known locally as the "Neck End" of the city. Longton is one of the six towns of "the Potteries
" which formed the City of Stoke-on-Trent
Longton ('long village') was a market town in the parish of Stoke in the county of Staffordshire. The town still has a market housed in an attractively renovated market hall.
In March 1865, Longton and Lane End were incorporated as the Borough of Longton. On 1 April 1910, the town was federated into the county borough of Stoke-on-Trent
. By 1925 the area was granted city status
. One legacy of Longton's administrative independence from 1865 to 1910 is Longton Town Hall, a prominent landmark in the town centre. In 1986 Longton Town Hall faced demolition by Stoke-on-Trent City Council
amid considerable local protest. Work on stripping the interior had already begun before an injunction
was brought and the building saved.
Together with Rochdale
, then in Lancashire
, Longton was host to the first Workers Educational Association
tutorial classes. R.H. Tawney
, known as “the patron saint of adult education”, taught the classes for three years from January 1908. For a time, until he moved to Manchester
in 1909, Tawney was working as part-time... Read More