The Library opened as a county library in July 1914 in C.E. Minor's land office at First and Main in downtown Los Altos. Over the next few years, the library was housed at many locations including the Copeland Building, the Shoup Building and the Scout Hall. In 1934, the library moved into the Southern Pacific Power House on First Street with labor provided by the W.P.A. and paint and materials provided by local residents. The library moved into its current location at the Los Altos Civic Center in 1960.