The Lynton and Barnstaple Railway Company Limited
was a private company, limited by guarantee, with no share capital. It was incorporated on 11 August 1993 as The Lynton & Barnstaple Light Railway Company Limited
(Name changed on 8 February 2002), the company is registered at Companies House
in Great Britain
as company number 02844182.
The company was formed by members of the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway Association
(Now a charitable trust
) to rebuild and operate, using mainly volunteer labour, the Victorian narrow-gauge
railway which ran across 20 miles of North Devon
between 1898 and 1935. The railway re-opened to passengers in 2004, and is centred at Woody Bay
In 2007 the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Community interest company
(CIC) was formed by the merger and conversion of two existing companies, simplifying the structural relationship between the operating company and the trust and, through the CIC status, adding value and encouraging greater local community involvement. the company is now registered at Companies House with the number 03390170.