The original Lytham railway station was the Lytham terminus of a branch of the Preston and Wyre Joint Railway from Kirkham in Lancashire, England. It opened, along with the branch, on 16 February 1846; the road it was located in became known as Station Road. It was built in a Renaissance style from Longridge stone. A branch was also built to the dock at Lytham Pool.
By 1874, both lines were owned jointly by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway and the London and North Western Railway. Ballam Road station was rebuilt as a through station and a connecting line was built to join the other line east of Lytham. The original station in Station Road was then closed to passengers, but continued to be used as a goods station for many decades, and was still in use in the 1960s.
A fire station now occupies the site.
Welch, M.S. (2004) Lancashire Steam Finale, Runpast Publishing, Cheltenham, ISBN 1 870754 61 1, p.29