The area was reconquered from the Moors in 1153, by count Ramon Berenguer IV of Barcelona. Later the town became part of the Barony of Entença.The baronial castle of Móra d'Ebre is located on a hill overlooking the river and the town. It is now in a state of semi-ruin, for it was used as a fortress during the Spanish Civil War and was heavily shelled and bombed. Nowadays some reconstruction has taken place in the western side. Many of the houses of the town are also in a ruinous state and reconstruction has only been haphazard.