From Bridgend, the Llynfi and Ogmore Railway (L&OVR) was formed on 28 June 1866 (itself the amalgamation of earlier lines); a standard gauge line as opposed to the main line. When the L&OVR threatened to build a competing line to the GWR, it forced the latter to change the gauge over its whole line from Didcot. On 1 July 1873 the GWR took over the L&OVR.
The line from Bridgend originally operated beyond Maesteg through Caerau and the Cymmer Tunnel, know locally as the 'Gwdihw', to passenger stations in Cymmer, known as Cymmer General and further to Abergwynfi. The lines also connected colleries in Abergwynfi and Glyncorrwg. Junctions at both Tondu and Cymmer connected with east-west routes across the Llynfi and Afan valleys.
The Maesteg branch was closed in 1970, and the link with the Afan Valley was lost due to the closure of the Cymmer Tunnel.
A long campaign in the late 1980s and early 90s, resulted in the reopening of the line in 1992 as far as Maesteg. The new stations and line were officially opened by Prince Richard, Duke of...... Read More