was established in 1954
as a public school in Sri Lanka
. It is a National School and controlled by the Central government as opposed to the Provincial Council.
The school accommodates 5000 students on a campus spread over . The academic staff of 150+ is led by the principal, Mr W. A. Premalal Kumarasiri.
The institution was fouded in 1954 through the dedication of Mr. W.A.K. Gunawardana at Sri Wardanarama Colombo 04 with five students in the class. In 1958 the school was registered as a government assisted junior school. The number of students gradually increased to 163 with 4 staff members and on January 1 1960 Mr J. D. A Jayakodi was appointed as the first principal of the school. In 1969 there were 14 staff members and 373 students.
With the rapid increase in the number of students, the school shifted to a place nearby, Valukarama. Primary classes were in a building near Thurstan College
. In 1974, during Mr. T.N Silva's period the junior school at Thurstan College moved to its present location - Mahanama College. In 1975, 130 students sat for the N.G.C.E examination, and 107 students passed the exam. The government donated of land as the school expanded at its present location.
In 1976, there were several two-story buildings. Through the dedication of Mr. K.N.P de Silva, the principal, and the support of the parents the school developed continuously. Principal Mr. K.N.P de Silva retired on the 5th of February 1986.
The succeeding... Read More