Maharani Gayatri Devi Girls’ School
, is located in Jaipur
and was established by and named after Her Highness Rajmata Gayatri Devi
of Jaipur. It was the first and the oldest all girls' school to be established in the State of Rajasthan
The school was founded on August 12, 1943 and is affectionately known as MGD
In the summer of 1940, the Maharaja of Jaipur, His Highness Sir Sawai Man Singhji Bahadur brought home Princess Ayesha Gayatri Devi, of Cooch Behar, as his bride. She was the daughter of the Late Maharaja and Late Maharani Indira Deviji, of Cooch Behar. Her maternal grandfather, His Highness Siyaji Rao Gaekwad of Baroda, was a pioneer in the field of education, specially of women, as far back as 150 years ago.
Educated in England, Switzerland, and Shantiniketan, and widely travelled, what she saw of the lives of the court ladies and their young daughters disturbed her. Their cloistered existence confined to the isolation of their own ‘havelies’ and mansions. The only change they could expect was, on marriage, to go to another ‘haveli’, another mansion and adjust to another family. The ladies moved around town, if at all, in heavily curtained cars and carriages. They had no idea or glimpse of the world outside.
His Highness, the Maharaja Sahib was concerned that girls' education was one field in which Jaipur was far behind other states and provinces in India. So he asked Her Highness what could be done to get the women out of the shackles of... Read More