Before 1947 Malbazar was a very small place, mainly known for its tea gardens mostly owned by British people. Those tea gardens had a few Bengali white collar employees and the work force consisted of tribal people. After independence of India as well as partition of Bengal refugees from the then East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) started to settle here and there by cutting down forests. By that time, one Dr. Narayan Chandra Bannerjee, who came there from Dacca (Dhaka) as a Medical Officer and earned a lot of respect for his effective medical treatments and social services, took initiatives to get the refugees settled there in an organised way. As a result some colonies came up. Later, due to his efforts Adarsha Bidya Bhawan (a boys High School), Subhasini Balika Vidyalay (a girls' high school) came up in the fifties. A Govt. Hospital was also set up. Soon, the police station was shifted to Malbazar from nearby Kranti. In the seventies Malbazar got its Fire Service Station.
In another major event during that period, Mrs. Rohit Kumari Sarkar (mother of Mr. Ranjit Sarkar, prominent business person of Malbazar in 1950s and grand mother of Mrs. Lipi Biswas, Founder... Read More